Evan H. KrinickPartner
Evan H. Krinick, Rivkin Radler’s managing partner, is a trial and appellate lawyer.
Since he joined the firm in 1987, Evan has served as counsel in hundreds of noteworthy commercial, banking, healthcare, municipal/public authority, tort liability, insurance, and insurance fraud matters. Among his many significant engagements, he represented the Long Island Power Authority (“LIPA”) in a series of cases arising from its acquisition of the Long Island Lighting Company (“LILCO”) and the Shoreham Settlement agreement, and he represents LIPA in all litigation arising from Superstorm Sandy. For decades, he also has been the lead extra-contractual attorney for State Farm in New York. Evan also has helped to develop Rivkin Radler’s insurance fraud practice.
Evan’s appellate work has resulted in numerous landmark decisions throughout his career, including:
- Glassman v. ProHealth, 14 N.Y.3d 898 (2010) (health care licensing);
- LMK Psychology v. State Farm, 12 N.Y.3d 217 (2009) (no-fault attorneys’ fees);
- Brothers v. NYSEG, 11 N.Y.3d 251 (2008) (vicarious liability);
- Food Parade v. Office of Consumer Affairs, 7 N.Y.3d 568 (2006) (municipal authority for unfair and deceptive practices);
- State Farm v. Mallela, 4 N.Y.3d 313 (2005) (insurance fraud);
- Collela v. Board of Assessors, 95 N.Y.2d 401 (2000) (standing in a commercial dispute); and
- Pavia v. State Farm, 82 N.Y.2d 445 (1993) (insurance bad faith).
In addition, Evan has represented various industry groups and trade associations as amicus curiae in many critical appeals, including:
- Fair Price v. Travelers, 10 N.Y.3d 556 (2008) (insurance fraud);
- Allstate v. Valley Physical, 555 F. Supp. 2d 335 (E.D.N.Y. 2008) (insurance fraud);
- Bi-Economy v. Harleysville, 10 N.Y.3d 187 (2008) (insurance bad faith);
- Hospital for Joint Diseases v. Travelers, 9 N.Y.3d 312 (2007) (no fault litigation);
- Hiraldo v. Allstate, 5 N.Y.3d 508 (2005) (insurance coverage for lead poisoning);
- Rekemeyer v. State Farm, 4 N.Y.3d 468 (2005) (late notice rule);
- Argo v. Greater New York, 4 N.Y.3d 332 (2005) (late notice rule);
- New England Mutual v. Doe, 93 N.Y.2d 122 (1999) (life insurance);
- Merson v. McNally, 90 N.Y.2d 742 (1997) (SEQRA); and
- Fumarelli v. Marsam, 238 A.D.2d 470 (1997) (SEQRA).
A prolific author, Evan’s column on insurance fraud appears regularly in the New York Law Journal. He previously was the Long Island Appellate Review columnist for the New York Law Journal and the Uniform Commercial Code columnist for the The Banking Journal. For well over a decade, he has written the insurance law column for the New York Law Journal‘s annual New York Court of Appeals special section.
Evan was chairman of the Leadership Council of the Long Island Mentoring Partnership, was inducted into the Long Island Business News’ 40 Rising Stars Under 40, and – before joining the firm – served for two years as a law clerk to the Hon. Fritz W. Alexander II, Associate Judge of the New York Court of Appeals.
Evan, who has earned the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, lectures frequently to the New York State Bar Association and in other venues on appellate practice, civil procedure, expert witnesses, insurance bad faith, and insurance coverage. He was named a Super Lawyer in the Metro New York Area in Appellate Law from 2015-2022. Since 2019, The Legal 500 has recommended Rivkin Radler’s Insurance Coverage practice in the insurance: advice to insurers category. The Insurance Coverage Practice Group since 2016 has been included in the Chambers USA directory in the Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer category. Evan was recognized in City & State New York’s Law Power 100 list for 2022 and 2023, as well as City & State’s Long Island Power 100 List in 2022.
Evan has been named to Best Lawyers in America® for the Appellate Practice and Insurance Law from 2018 to 2023.
926 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556-0926
New York StateCourt Admissions
United States District Court, New York, Southern & Eastern Districts
United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
United States Supreme CourtBar Affiliations
American Bar Association: Member
American Judicature Society: Member
New York State Bar Association: Committee on the Civil Practice Law and Rules
Nassau County Bar Association: Appellate Practice Committee
New York County Lawyers’ Association: Appellate Advocacy CommitteeEducation
Albany Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude
Union College, B.A. in Law and Public Policy
News & Publications
Krinick Recognized on City & State Law Power 100 List
March 20 | 2023
Krinick Comments on Work From Home Policies for LIBN
March 10 | 2023
Krinick Offers Legal Forecast in Long Island Business News
January 6 | 2023
View All Publications