Michael A. SirignanoPartner
Michael A. Sirignano litigates insurance, business, real estate, banking, and healthcare matters before trial and appellate courts throughout the New York area and the United States. With decades of experience, Michael also provides business and litigation counseling to a variety of clients.
A partner in Rivkin Radler’s Commercial Litigation and Insurance Fraud Practice Groups, Michael has obtained significant court victories for a long list of commercial clients, including banks, title insurers, real estate developers, manufacturers, wholesalers, and health and auto insurers. Several of his cases have produced multi-million-dollar judgments, settlements in favor of the firm’s clients, and notable legal precedent.
Michael has particular experience handling claims and litigation involving the healthcare and automobile insurance industries, and regularly acts as lead counsel in complex state and federal court litigation. He also supervises the defense of no-fault claims; counsels property, automobile and healthcare insurers on fraud prevention; defends litigation challenging claims handling practices; and prosecutes affirmative recovery litigation involving fraud and RICO claims. Michael has headed the investigation into several large-scale fraud schemes and has led the successful prosecution of a number of large recovery actions on behalf of insurers.
Michael was named to Super Lawyers’ Metro New York list in Business Litigation for 2021. He also is co-author of the New York Law Journal’s insurance fraud column and frequently speaks on litigation and anti-fraud topics at industry association conferences. In addition, Michael has been a contributing author to the American Bar Association’s annual practice journal, Recent Developments in Business Litigation and was a recipient of Long Island Business News’ Rising Star Award.
Samples of decisions Michael has obtained include:
- Gov’t Emples. Ins. Co. v. Mayzenberg, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 195890 (E.D.N.Y. 2018) (granting GEICO’s motion to stay underlying collection proceedings).
- Gov’t Emples. Ins. Co. v. Fritz Gondre, MD, Index 607957/16 (Sup. Ct. Nassau Cty. 2017) (upholding discovery of bank account information in fraudulent treatment/billing action).
- Catalyst Lab Solutions LLC v. Westchester Neurology Consultants, P.C. (AAA, No. 01-15-0003-4603, 2016) (upholding contract as valid and enforceable and awarding damages and attorneys’ fees).
- Gov’t Emples. Ins. Co. v. Simakovsky, et al., 14-CV-3775 (E.D.N.Y. 2016) (obtaining $4 million judgment against medical provider involved in insurance fraud scheme).
- Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. v. Excel Imaging, P.C., 879 F. Supp. 2d 243 (E.D.N.Y. 2012) (denying motion seeking dismissal of insurer’s civil RICO and fraud claims).
- State Farm Ins. Co. v. Audrey Cohan, 12-CV-1956 (E.D.N.Y. 2013) (upholding complaint for constructive trust on property traced to fraudulently obtained funds)
- First Capital Surety & Trust, Index No. 16785/12 (Sup. Ct. Suffolk Cty. 2012) (granting dismissal of breach of contract/fraud case against Housepad LLP).
- Axios Products, Inc. v. Time Machine Software, Inc. (Sup. Ct. Suffolk Cty. 2011) (granting dismissal of tortious interference case against Software Engineering of America, Inc.).
- Unique Design Home Builders, Inc. v. Town of Islip, 2010 NY Misc. Lexis 2846 (Sup. Ct. Suffolk Cty. 2010) (winning summary judgment for commercial builder in property dispute).
- Cusamano v. Extell Rock, Index No. 115389/05 (Sup. Ct. NY Cty. 2010) (granting summary judgment dismissing fourth-party complaint of Hard Rock Café).
926 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556-0926
New YorkCourt Admissions
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Second CircuitBar Affiliations
New York State Bar Association
Nassau County Bar AssociationEducation
Fordham University School of Law, Juris Doctor (recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Commercial Finance)
State University of New York at Albany, B.A. in Political Science, Minor in Economics, magna cum laude