E. Christopher MurrayPartner
E. Christopher (Chris) Murray has over 30 years of experience in all aspects of complex commercial, environmental, real estate, brokerage commission, insurance, employment, civil rights, anti-trust and trademark litigation; as well as commercial real estate and business transactions. His practice includes jury and non-jury trials in Federal and State court, as well as arbitration proceedings and administrative hearings. He has numerous reported Federal and State appellate level decisions involving real estate disputes, breach of contract claims, employment discrimination, Article 78 proceedings and partnership dissolutions. He has presented programs before the Nassau County Bar Association and the Nassau County Planning Federation on land use litigation, employment practices and civil rights.
Chris’ experience includes litigation and administrative hearings involving a variety of environmental issues including SEQRA compliance, violations of New York and federal law concerning the disposal of hazardous waste, challenges to the denial of wetland permits and CERCLA liability. He also advises clients regarding compliance with environmental and zoning laws and regulations.
Chris is a past President of the Nassau Council of Chambers of Commerce, the umbrella organization for over 40 local chambers of commerce in Nassau County, representing more than 6,000 small businesses. He serves on the board of a number of charities and not-for-profit organizations, including Life’s WORC and the President of the Board for the Citizens Campaign for the Environment. Chris is Chairman of the Suffolk County Community College Board of Trustees, the largest community college serving over 25,000 students, and Chris has served on the Town of North Hempstead Board of Zoning and Appeals, Nassau County Ethics Commission, North Hempstead Housing Authority and the Nassau County Open Space and Parks Advisory Committee. Chris is the recipient of the New York County Lawyers Association’s Award for Conspicuous Service. This award is for his authorship of the Civil Litigation Reforms chapter in the treatise Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, fifth edition.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Obtained very favorable jury verdict in a commercial fraudulent conveyance action in New York County Supreme Court;
- Obtained an injunction prohibiting the posting on social media of defamatory statements about the Superintendent of a local water district;
- $550,000 jury verdict in Nassau County Supreme Court against a Village in a malicious prosecution/civil rights case;
- $1.45 million judgment after a jury trial in King County Superior Court, State of Washington in favor of a Long Island based aerospace manufacturer;
- $1.2 million dollar judgment after a jury trial in the Eastern District of New York in a land use Section 1983 claim;
- $800,000 arbitration award on behalf of a contractor involving the renovation of a nursing home in Brooklyn;
- Dismissal of a RICO claim in the Eastern District of New York, affirmed on appeal, against a Long Island plumbing supply company;
- Successful representation of an environmental group opposing the Suffolk County Water Authority attempt to drill a well in Lloyd Aquifer;
- $600,000 judgment after trial in Suffolk County Supreme Court in favor of a real estate broker suing for a finder’s fee in connection with a construction project;
- Successfully representing an attorney in overturning on an appeal to the Second Circuit a denial of an attorney’s fee request in the World Trade Center litigation.
926 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556-0926
New YorkCourt Admissions
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Claims
U.S. Supreme CourtBar Affiliations
New York State Bar Association
Nassau County Bar Association
Suffolk County Bar AssociationEducation
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude
SUNY Albany, B.A., summa cum laude